The multi-purpose DD12 defines the ultimate in performance, versatility and coverage consistency for premium stand-alone and distributed applications — including touring, theatre, installations and AV events. Combining onboard networking, DSP and Class D amplification with state-of-the-art transducers and Differential Dispersion technology, it achieves best-in-class performance for powered two-way loudspeaker systems. The DD12 features a high-specification 12” (300mm) LF drive unit and a class-leading 1” (25mm) exit compression driver housed in a compact tour-grade enclosure. Steep-slope FIR crossover filters enable the 1” exit HF device to outperform larger format drivers, due to its inherently superior efficiency and performance at extreme high frequencies. Every design effort has been focused on maximising the output of the drive units — giving the DD12 a maximum SPL output capability of 131dB peak @ 1metre. Several aspects of the DD12 differentiate it from other powered two-way systems:
1. DIFFERENTIAL DISPERSION TECHNOLOGY
To achieve optimal front-to-back coverage from a loudspeaker with a conventional X° x Y° horn, the speaker is placed above the listening plane and aimed towards the centre of the audience. This results in a less-than-ideal coverage pattern with a relatively small ‘hot-spot’. In particular, front rows to either side of the loudspeaker are covered poorly. In contrast, the DD12’s Differential Dispersion horn delivers much more consistent audience coverage — projecting relatively more throw to the rear to distribute sound evenly front-to-back, while having wider 110° horizontal coverage for the front rows. It produces a rectangular coverage pattern that reaches the far corners of the audience, as well as side areas close-up.
Versatility is a key attribute of the DD12. It is a multi-purpose ‘problem-solver’ designed to meet a multitude of premium stand-alone and distributed sound reinforcement requirements — from touring, theatre and portable live sound to concert hall and HoW installations, AV events and stage monitor use. Ideal as the main PA in small-to-medium size rooms, it can also be used as an infill loudspeaker in large-scale systems. The compact, multi-angle enclosure can be used in either vertical or horizontal orientation, including use as a stage monitor — with rotation of the HF horn accomplished by removing the screw-free grille. Comprehensive accessories support a wide variety of mounting options.
3. ONBOARD NETWORKING, DSP, CLASS D AMPLIFICATION AND CONTROL
The DD12 is a fully-integrated system with state-of-the-art onboard networking, DSP and lightweight Class D amplification — simplifying set-up, enhancing control and eliminating amplifier racks. Two Class D amplifier channels deliver 1400W + 700W to drive the DD12’s LF and HF sections independently — with onboard DSP performing EQ and crossover functions. The advanced switched-mode power supply auto-ranges to global mains voltages from 100 to 240V 50/60Hz, while Power Factor Correction smoothes out the mains current draw over the whole of the AC waveform. Whether configured as an element in a stand-alone DD12 system or part of a larger system, individual DD12’s can be controlled and monitored from a laptop or wireless tablet PC via intuitive VU-NET proprietary software. PC connection can be made directly via micro USB, or via Martin Audio’s proprietary U-NET network and Merlin loudspeaker and network management system.
4. ‘PLUG AND PLAY’ PLUS EDITABLE PRESETS
An important feature of the DD12 is its internal memory, which allows factory ‘plug-and-play’ or user-generated DSP preset ‘snapshots’ to be recalled by means of a preset selector button on the rear panel, instead of using computer control. In this use-case, only mains and signal is required.
KEY FEATURES AT A GLANCE
• Compact, multi-purpose, bi-amplified, powered two-way system
• Multi-angle, polyurethane-coated plywood enclosure with screw-free perforated steel grille
• Class-leading fidelity, output capability and coverage consistency
• User-rotatable Differential Dispersion horn optimises coverage footprint across the audience plane
• High-specification 12” (300mm) LF driver and 1” (25mm) exit HF driver complement
• 131dB peak output capability @ 1 metre
• A fully-integrated system with onboard networking, DSP and two channels of Class D amplification (1400W LF, 700W HF)
• Switched mode power supply with PFC (Power Factor Correction) and global mains operation • Onboard ‘plug-and-play’ and editable presets
• Remote control and system monitoring via proprietary VU-NET software
• Wide range of vertical and horizontal deployment options • Integral pole mount and M8 rigging inserts
• Rain cowl option for outdoor use APPLICATIONS • Live sound reinforcement
• Theatre sound reinforcement • Fixed installations in concert halls and HoW
• Corporate AV events
• High-power stage monitoring
• Frontfill/infill for large-scale systems