Here's a selection of SR panels that will be taking place during AES (October 9 to 12, 2009, in New York City). For a full list, visit aes.org.
- AES Education Committee Vice Chair John Krivit will present “The Greening of the Band: Green Touring Solutions for the Live Engineer.” A panel of experts, advocates and artists will discuss ways to reduce a tour's carbon footprint.
- “White Spaces & TVBD Update,” presented by Chris Lyons, Joe Ciaudelli and Edger Reihl, will address the impact of the DTV conversion and related FCC decisions. A session on comprehensive wireless applications will follow.
- James Stoffo will oversee “Practical Advice for Wireless System Users.” This panel will address the elements of successful component selection, designing systems and setting them up to minimize potential interference and maximize performance.
- Mary McGregor, chairing “Microphone Dressing,” will provide hands-on demonstrations of basic techniques and share some time-tested “tricks of the trade.”
- In “State of the Art Loudspeaker Design for Live Sound,” Tom Young will clarify the capabilities of modern-day loudspeakers/systems and consider where they need to go.
- For “Microphone Selection and Techniques for Live Sound,” Dean Giavaras and a panel of experts from mic manufacturers and sound reinforcement providers will discuss tips and tricks for getting the job done at the start of the signal path.