Who: Jeff Pallin
What: senior VP/COO, TOA Electronics
- 2000-2002, VP of sales and marketing, TOA
- 1998-2000, VP of marketing, TOA
- 1992-1998, director of marketing, TOA
- 1992-1993, marketing manger, TOA
- 1991-1992, commercial sound sales and marketing manager, TOA
- 1990-1991, business sales manager, TOA
- 1988-1990, marketing manager, University Sound
- 1984-1988, managed a sound contracting firm in Chicago
- 1984, received Masters in Business at Boston University
- 1978-1982, pro division sales management, Bose
Main responsibilities: I am the first American (or “local staff,” as our parent company says) to be responsible for the entire U.S. operation: sales, marketing, product development and administration.
If I could do anything else as a profession, it would be…I have always dreamed of teaching history or mathematics at the high school or college level.
The one piece of advice that I would give to aspiring music industry professionals would be…Become wedded to concepts, never to issues. Fix problems, not blame, and always offer an apology before you offer an explanation.
The moment I knew I was doing a job that I love was…The first real sales job I had in a music store in Madison, Wisconsin. I remember how it felt to make my first big sale. It was a very expensive acoustic guitar, and the customer was almost as excited as I was about his decision to buy that guitar.
Currently in my CD player is…I am trying to rekindle my interest in playing music. Naturally, I am listening and re-listening to anything that Duane Allman ever recorded.
When I'm not in the office, I enjoy…I cook, clean and sew for my two sons. I try to read, and I do spend lots of time with friends and family, including a lady who amazes me every time we talk. I am a serious cyclist. I train at least 20 hours a week, race road and track, and placed sixth in Match Sprints in 2001 at the National Championships in Seattle.
Send your “Current” news to Sarah Benzuly at firstname.lastname@example.org.