Marshall is now shipping the 1959HW, a handwired reissue of a circa 1969, 100 Watt, all-valve Super Lead ‘Plexi’ head, plus the angled-front 1960AHW and straight-fronted 1960BHW 120 Watt 4×12″ cabinets. These are the latest additions to its line of handwired amplifiers and matching speaker cabinets — a series that features some of the world’s most sought after, vintage, all-valve Marshalls.
“The 100 Watt ‘Plexi’ head is considered by many to be the definitive rock amp and is the main reason artists started dubbing Marshall as ‘the sound of rock’ back in the late ’60s,” states Marshall’s U.S. Product Manager, Nick Bowcott.
The so-called ‘Plexi’ era (late 1965 to July 1969) was named because of the plexiglas material used on the model 1959’s front panel. It ended when the company changed its front panel material from plexiglas to brushed aluminum. During this relatively short period, many small but often significant circuit changes were made. After exhaustive research tracking the exact timeline of these changes and also finding many untouched examples of them, a pre-July 1969 SL/A head was chosen as being ‘the one’ to duplicate.
All of the original components and materials were used or reproduced in the 1959HW, and the methods of construction employed in the late 1960s were revisited. Both transformers — output and power — have been meticulously recreated by Dagnall Electronics to duplicate the electrical performance and characteristics of the originals while satisfying stringent modern safety legislations. As a result of this attention to detail, the 1959HW’s handwired tag-board lives up to the slogan, ‘Point-to-Point Perfection’.
The 1959HW MSRP is $4,000 and 1960AHW/BHW is $1,800.
For more information about Marshall, visit www.marshallamps.com.