UK Monitor Manufacturer to Showcase 9.1 Audio Demos & Unveil New Large-scale Reference Loudspeaker at 137th AES Convention
LOS ANGELES, OCTOBER 1, 2014 — The 137th AES Convention, which is being held in the Los Angeles Convention Center from October 9-12, 2014, is an important one for UK-based loudspeaker manufacturer PMC (Booth 1628), who will be publicly exhibiting a new high-end product aimed at the large-scale reference monitor market for the very first time internationally. “We don’t want to say too much about it at this stage,” comments Communications & Artist Relations Manager Paul O’Farrell-Stevens. “Obviously, we’d much rather you come to see it for yourselves at the PMC stand! Suffice it to say that we think this represents a step change in high-end reference monitor technology, in terms of power, dynamics, and quality of reproduction.” In addition to the new product, the now-complete range of twotwo nearfield monitors will be on show at PMC’s booth, ranging from the smallest twotwo.5 to the twotwo.8 and the recently introduced twotwo sub1 monitor for LFE channel use.
In addition to the company stand at Booth 1628 on the convention floor, PMC will also be running their usual “Masters of Audio” production seminars in a separate dedicated PMC-equipped demonstration suite in the Convention Center’s Room 305, away from the hubbub of the main exhibition. Further along the concourse from the “Masters of Audio” suite is Room 306ab, which will also be equipped with an active PMC BB5 XBD-A surround monitoring setup to allow the annual AES Student Recording Competition to take place. Here AES student delegates will gather to audition their productions and critique each other’s work, while a distinguished panel of judges will award prizes for the most accomplished work.
This year, in association with the AES and Auro Technologies, many of the “Masters of Audio” seminars will be presented in the 9.1 Auro-3D format. As ever, the rolling program of workshops throughout the Convention will be presented by some of the top engineers and producers in the international recording business, giving attendees an insight into the tips, tricks and mindset of those at the pinnacle of their craft. Confirmed participants at the time of writing include:
• Chris Tabron (Beyoncé, Mary T Blige), Chief Engineer at Red Bull Studios New York, who will discuss recording and production with Om’mas Keith and Erykah Badu;
• Bassy Bob Brockman (The Fugees, Bob Dylan), who is presenting his regular seminar on the “Elements of Mixing,” with an associated Q&A session;
• Former AES President-Elect and Argentinian Mastering Engineer Andres Mayo, who will give an introduction to the concept of high-resolution mastering;
• The engineering, production and mastering team from Wisseloord Studios, Ronald Prent & Darcy Proper, who are conducting an Auro3D presentation, “Moving From Stereo To 5.1 And On Into 9.1”, featuring the music of Mando Diao, Tiesto and Alain Klark;
• Robert Vosgien of Capitol Mastering, who will be playing selections from and discussing his work on Bob Marley’s Legend compilation;
• Mix Engineer, Songwriter and Producer Jon Castelli (Lady Gaga, Beyoncé), who will be discussing the role and influence of the songwriting producer in modern productions with examples from his recent work;
• Morten Lindberg of boutique Norwegian recording label 2L, who will be explaining his high-quality recording methods, with examples from recent high-resolution releases on the label.
For more information on all of the new presentations and the full “Masters of Audio” seminar program, see www.pmc-speakers.com or come to Booth 1628 during the show.
Information for Editors
PMC is a UK-based, world-leading manufacturer of loudspeaker systems, the tools of choice in all ultra-critical professional monitoring applications, and also for the discerning audiophile at home, where they provide a transparent window into the recording artist’s original intentions. PMC products use the best available materials and design principles, including the company’s proprietary Advanced Transmission Line (ATL™) bass-loading technology, cutting-edge amplification and advanced DSP techniques to create loudspeakers that present sound and music exactly as it was when first created, with the highest possible resolution, and without colouration or distortion. For more information on our clients and products, see www.pmc-speakers.com.