Outside Lands 2016
Photos By Dave Vann / Text By Amanda Morrison
True to the spirit of the city itself, San Francisco’s 8th annual Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival offered its usual, but not at all typical, mix of eclectic, edgy and alternative artists. The festival took place August 5-7, 2016, featuring headliners Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem and Lionel Ritchie; with dozens more acts, including Duran Duran, Sufjan Stevens, Lana Del Rey, Air, Major Lazer, Ryan Adams, J. Cole, E-40 and Warren G, The Claypool Lennon Delirium, and The Muppets’ very own band, Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem.
This year marked Radiohead’s return to the festival for the first time since the festival’s debut in 2008, when the band experienced a major sound outage during their set. This year, fans were more than pleased with the impeccable sound, as Radiohead played a flawless two-hour set that drew heavily from their newly released A Moon Shaped Pool, and finished with a sing-along to their crowd-pleasing classic, “Karma Police.”
The folks at Another Planet and Superfly curate a first-class event that offers something for just about everyone. Sound was provided by Pro Media/UltraSound of Hercules, Calif., under the supervision of Systems Engineer Tom Lyon, while Nathan Harlow was the festival’s FOH Audio Tech. The P.A. on the main stage was a Meyer Sound LEO system comprising 14 LEO/three LYON-W per side; 11 1100-LFC L/R subs per side; 12 700-HP subs in the pit; 10 LEO sidefills per side; and 12 LEOPARDs across the deck as front fills. Delays were two sticks of eight LYON-M (near) and two sticks of LEOPARD with six 900s (far). Galileos and Callistos provided drive using the Callisto starting point presets.
Check out this gallery of exclusive photos for Mix from photographer Dave Vann.
- Propellerhead Announces Free Reason 9.5 Update with VST Support
- Waves eMotion LV1 Live Mixer Chosen by FOH Engineer Jon Schumann for MØ Tour
- The Bakery Masters Limited-Edition Vinyl Reissue of Star Trek: The Motion Picture Score
- Faith Sanctuary in Toronto Chooses RoomMatch® Loudspeakers from Bose Professional to Update and Upgrade Its Sound
- Audio-Technica Now Shipping New System 10 PRO Rack-Mount Digital Wireless System Configurations
- Waves Nx Virtual Mix Room Plugin Now Compatible with Multiple Head Trackers for Recording Sessions
- Earthworks Now Shipping CTB30 Boundary Microphone
- Yamaha Takes NEXO GEO M10 Demos On the Road
- AES New York Convention to Be Largest Pro Audio Event of the Year – Exhibitors and Sponsors Act Now to Be a Part of the Action
- DPA Microphones Capture Sound For Oscar Nominated Short Film