Outside Lands 2016
Photos By Dave Vann / Text By Amanda Morrison
True to the spirit of the city itself, San Francisco’s 8th annual Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival offered its usual, but not at all typical, mix of eclectic, edgy and alternative artists. The festival took place August 5-7, 2016, featuring headliners Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem and Lionel Ritchie; with dozens more acts, including Duran Duran, Sufjan Stevens, Lana Del Rey, Air, Major Lazer, Ryan Adams, J. Cole, E-40 and Warren G, The Claypool Lennon Delirium, and The Muppets’ very own band, Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem.
This year marked Radiohead’s return to the festival for the first time since the festival’s debut in 2008, when the band experienced a major sound outage during their set. This year, fans were more than pleased with the impeccable sound, as Radiohead played a flawless two-hour set that drew heavily from their newly released A Moon Shaped Pool, and finished with a sing-along to their crowd-pleasing classic, “Karma Police.”
The folks at Another Planet and Superfly curate a first-class event that offers something for just about everyone. Sound was provided by Pro Media/UltraSound of Hercules, Calif., under the supervision of Systems Engineer Tom Lyon, while Nathan Harlow was the festival’s FOH Audio Tech. The P.A. on the main stage was a Meyer Sound LEO system comprising 14 LEO/three LYON-W per side; 11 1100-LFC L/R subs per side; 12 700-HP subs in the pit; 10 LEO sidefills per side; and 12 LEOPARDs across the deck as front fills. Delays were two sticks of eight LYON-M (near) and two sticks of LEOPARD with six 900s (far). Galileos and Callistos provided drive using the Callisto starting point presets.
Check out this gallery of exclusive photos for Mix from photographer Dave Vann.
- Powersoft puts focus on training at Prolight+Sound
- Powersoft Creates Clever, Elemental Animated Video Campaign to Launch its Groundbreaking Quattrocanali Amplifier Family to a Sophisticated User Base
- Pro7ect 2017 Ends With 20 Songs Written & Recorded In Just Four Days
- Trumpeter Ramon Figueras Features DPA Microphones In His Ground-Breaking Music Videos
- The Roland M-48 Live Personal Mixer Lets Six-Time EMMY® Award Winner Tom Pesa Give the Orchestra for the Academy Awards Show Exactly What They Need to Hear
- Nashville Audio Community Gears Up for 20th Annual AudioMasters Benefit Golf Tournament
- FOH Engineer Dani Munoz Uses the Waves eMotion LV1 Live Mixer for Magic! Tour
- View Carl Tatz Interview on Pensado's Place
- The Bose® F1 Flexible Array Loudspeaker System Puts the Audience in the Middle of the Music at Live Tapings for the Syndicated Radio Show Live from the Divide
- Mt. Zion Baptist Church Acquires Three New Roland M-5000 OHRCA Live Mixing Consoles